U.S. Preparing for Prolonged Military Campaign Against Iran as Talks Move to Switzerland
The United States is preparing for the possibility of an extended military campaign against Iran that could last several weeks if President Donald Trump orders an attack, according to two American officials who spoke with Reuters. At the same time, diplomatic efforts are continuing, with a second round of U.S.-Iran talks scheduled to take place in Geneva, Switzerland, on Tuesday.
According to the officials, the Pentagon is making contingency plans not only for limited strikes on Iran’s nuclear facilities but also for broader operations targeting Iranian security installations. One source told Reuters that in the event of a prolonged conflict, U.S. forces could hit Iranian security sites in addition to nuclear infrastructure. The official declined to provide specific details.
American and Iranian diplomats met last week in Oman in an attempt to revive diplomacy surrounding Tehran’s nuclear program. The talks came after President Trump reinforced U.S. military forces in the region, raising concerns about the possibility of renewed military action.
Amid the heightened tensions, Switzerland confirmed it will host the second round of negotiations between the United States and Iran in Geneva this coming Tuesday. The upcoming discussions are expected to give U.S. officials a clearer understanding of Iran’s position following internal consultations currently taking place in Tehran over the weekend.
Dr. Raz Zimmt, head of the Iran and Shiite Axis Program at Israel’s Institute for National Security Studies, reported that Ali Larijani, secretary of Iran’s Supreme National Security Council, traveled to Mashhad after visiting Oman and Qatar—where he likely received a message from the United States. The visit to Mashhad may have been intended to brief Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.
According to additional Iranian reports, Tehran has either rejected or is leaning toward rejecting two American proposals concerning its nuclear program. The first proposal would freeze uranium enrichment for three to five years and then limit enrichment to low levels. The second would require Iran to remove approximately 450 kilograms of uranium enriched to 60% that has remained in the country since the June war.
The reported Iranian refusal is also said to be linked to Washington’s position that sanctions relief would not be granted in exchange for Iranian concessions, but that the military threat would be lifted instead.
On Friday, U.S. officials said the Pentagon is deploying an additional aircraft carrier strike group to the Middle East. Thousands of additional troops are expected to arrive, accompanied by fighter jets, missile destroyers, and significant firepower capable of both launching and defending against attacks.
President Trump, speaking Friday at a military base in North Carolina, acknowledged that “it will be hard to reach a deal” with Iran. When asked about preparations for a potentially extended military operation, White House spokeswoman Anna Kelly said, “President Trump has all options on the table regarding Iran.”
“He listens to a range of perspectives on any given issue, but makes the final decision based on what is best for our country and our national security,” Kelly added.
Military experts warn that the risks to U.S. forces in such an operation would be considerably higher in a confrontation with Iran, which possesses a vast missile arsenal. Strikes on Iranian territory could also significantly increase the risk of a broader regional conflict.
One U.S. official told Reuters that Washington fully expects Iran to retaliate if attacked, potentially triggering repeated rounds of strikes. Iran’s Revolutionary Guards have warned that in the event of attacks on Iranian soil, they could respond by targeting any American military base.
The United States maintains military bases throughout the Middle East, including in Jordan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Bahrain, the United Arab Emirates, and Turkey.
Israeli Prime Minister Bibi Netanyahu met with President Trump in Washington on Wednesday for discussions focused on Iran. Netanyahu said that if an agreement is reached, “it must include the elements essential to Israel.”
Iran has stated that it is prepared to discuss limitations on its nuclear program in exchange for sanctions relief, but has rejected linking the issue to its missile program.
President Trump said last night that in his view, regime change in Iran might be the best possible outcome. He argued that for decades, the Iranians have “just talked,” while lives have been lost. He added that significant U.S. forces have already arrived in the region, with more expected to deploy soon as part of the pressure campaign on Tehran.
Trump emphasized that the United States will not allow Iran to continue enriching uranium and said the only way for Iran to avoid a strike is to agree to a “proper” deal—one he contends should have been accepted in the past.
When asked by a reporter what targets remain in Iran after he previously claimed that Iranian nuclear sites had been completely destroyed, Trump responded that if further action is taken, it would involve a relatively minor remaining portion of the mission.
Pressed on who might replace Iran’s leadership in the event of regime change, Trump declined to elaborate, saying only that “there are people.”
