Feed aggregator

Cabinet Secretary Sets 60-Day Deadline for Hamas Disarmament

Matzav -

Israeli Cabinet Secretary Yossi Fuchs on Monday outlined a firm diplomatic and security position regarding Gaza, declaring that Israel will not tolerate continued Hamas rearmament and setting a 60-day deadline for the terror group to fully disarm.

Speaking at the Besheva Conference, Fuchs said Hamas must dismantle “all” of its weapons within two months. If it fails to do so, he warned, Israel will take military action.

“Hamas must disarm from all its weapons — everything. If that does not happen, the IDF will be required to ensure that it does,” Fuchs stated. He made clear that absent full disarmament, Israel would resume large-scale military operations in the Gaza Strip.

Addressing the recent unrest in Bnei Brak connected to the ongoing draft law crisis, Fuchs sought to lower the public rhetoric. He argued that the current tensions stem from the expiration of previous legal arrangements and emphasized that for years there had been an agreed-upon framework regulating the status of yeshiva students.

“If we label a ציבור of one and a half million people as criminals, we will push it toward extremism,” he said, adding that in his view the situation reflects a legal vacuum rather than a failure of governance.

Fuchs also commented on negotiations surrounding the draft law, noting that efforts are underway to formulate a version that will receive the backing of the Knesset’s legal advisers, in order to prevent an interim injunction that could freeze the legislation upon passage.

He indicated that from the coalition’s standpoint, a central objective is for the chareidi factions to actively support the bill, as part of a broad agreement that would ensure both its legal durability and political stability.

When asked whether Israel might one day return to reestablish Jewish communities in Gush Katif, which were evacuated under the 2005 Disengagement Plan, Fuchs responded briefly: “With Hashem’s help.”

{Matzav.com}

Trump Says He Wants Death Penalty For Nancy Guthrie Kidnappers If She Isn’t Returned Alive

Matzav -

President Trump said Monday that anyone responsible for abducting Nancy Guthrie must ensure her safe return or face what he described as the toughest possible federal punishment.

Speaking in a brief phone interview with The NY Post, Trump made clear that if the 84-year-old mother of NBC “Today” show host Savannah Guthrie is killed, he would expect the Justice Department to pursue capital punishment.

He stated that those behind the Feb. 1 kidnapping from her home outside Tucson would face “very, very severe — the most severe” federal consequences if she is found dead.

When asked directly whether that meant the Department of Justice would seek the death penalty, Trump responded: “The most, yeah — that’s true.”

On Feb. 4, the president personally called Savannah Guthrie to offer federal support in the investigation. The FBI later obtained disturbing images and video showing a masked individual at the front door of the suburban residence.

Trump has largely refrained from making public comments about the case while authorities continue an intensive search for the elderly mother of three, whom investigators believe could still be alive.

In an effort to locate her, law enforcement officials conducted aerial searches over the desert terrain during the weekend, using specialized Bluetooth technology designed to detect a signal from Nancy Guthrie’s pacemaker.

Federal charges are frequently pursued in prominent criminal cases, especially when state lines may be involved or when federal laws are implicated. Although Arizona maintains the death penalty, many of the 109 prisoners currently on the state’s death row have remained there for decades.

Since 2022, Arizona has carried out only two executions, partly due to a nearly two-year suspension ordered by the Democrat-led state government, which was lifted in late 2024.

Separately, the federal government has authority to seek capital punishment and typically reserves it for the most high-profile crimes, including the cases of Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, Pittsburgh synagogue shooter Robert Bowers, and racist mass murderer Dylann Roof.

Joe Biden commuted the sentences of 37 of the 40 inmates on federal death row, leaving Tsarnaev, Bowers, and Roof excluded from that action. Trump officials have indicated they intend to transfer the remaining federal death row inmates to a federal supermax facility, where they would serve their sentences under strict conditions.

Paxton Courts Trump Voters in High-Stakes Texas Senate Showdown

Yeshiva World News -

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton will be in an unfamiliar setting Monday night: heading his first campaign rally since the Republican announced his candidacy for the U.S. Senate 10 months ago. Paxton’s scheduled appearance is part of his stepped-up campaign to unseat four-term Republican Sen. John Cornyn and add a MAGA devotee to the Senate, a bid that has […]

Israeli Man Indicted for Allegedly Spying on Former Defense Minister Gallant for Iran

Matzav -

Israeli state prosecutors on Monday filed an indictment against a 32-year-old northern Israeli man accused of collecting intelligence on former defense minister Yoav Gallant at the direction of an Iranian operative.

According to court documents, Fares Abu al-Hija was detained in late January after he allegedly photographed streets surrounding Gallant’s residence in Amikam and transmitted the images to his handler. Authorities say the surveillance was carried out at the handler’s request.

Police and the Shin Bet security service said in a joint announcement that Abu al-Hija is a resident of the Galilee village of Kaukab Abu al-Hija, located roughly an hour north of Gallant’s home.

Investigators believe the suspect initially connected with the Iranian operative last August through the Telegram messaging platform while seeking employment opportunities. The indictment states that the contact was made under the guise of work.

From October through January, Abu al-Hija is said to have fulfilled a series of assignments from the individual, who identified himself as “Martin,” despite harboring suspicions that he was dealing with a foreign intelligence agent.

Prosecutors allege that the assignments included purchasing mobile phones and chargers, concealing them in various spots around Haifa, activating the devices, installing communication applications, documenting their hiding places, and relaying those details back to his handler. He was also instructed to deliver an envelope containing the password to a cryptocurrency account to a site in Zichron Yaakov and to photograph a cafe in Tel Aviv.

The indictment states that Abu al-Hija received payment in cryptocurrency for carrying out the missions. For capturing photos and videos of the Tel Aviv cafe, he was paid $1,000 in digital currency.

In January, the suspect was reportedly directed to document Gallant’s home. Authorities arrested him at the scene shortly after he transmitted the images.

An indictment was filed in the Haifa District Court charging Abu al-Hija with contact with a foreign agent. Prosecutors have asked the court to keep him in custody through the duration of the proceedings.

Gallant served as defense minister from 2022 to 2024 before being dismissed by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu amid political disagreements. Earlier in his career, he commanded the Israel Defense Forces Southern Command.

In their statement, police and the Shin Bet warned that Iran has stepped up attempts to recruit Israelis to conduct espionage activities within the country.

Law enforcement “takes a very serious view of any involvement in such activities and will continue to bring to justice those involved in harming the country’s security and its citizens,” they said.

Officials noted that over the past two years, dozens of Israelis have faced espionage charges linked to Iran. In many instances, recruitment efforts were carried out through social media platforms, particularly Telegram.

{Matzav.com}

Lapid Says Bnei Brak Violence Is ‘Not An Isolated Phenomenon’

Matzav -

A heated exchange erupted in the Knesset ahead of a no-confidence vote, as Opposition Leader Yair Lapid charged that the assault on two IDF servicewomen in Bnei Brak reflects a broader pattern under the current government, while Deputy Minister Yisrael Eichler accused the opposition of fueling dangerous incitement against the chareidi community.

Taking the podium before the vote, Lapid argued that the violence in Bnei Brak was not a one-time occurrence but part of a recurring trend. “What we saw yesterday in Bnei Brak is not an isolated phenomenon. It happens time and time again under this government. You are permitting [the shedding of] the blood of the IDF. You are against the IDF. This isn’t just happening in Bnei Brak,” he says, pointing as well to incidents involving settlers confronting IDF troops in the West Bank.

Lapid dismissed the coalition’s portrayal of itself as staunchly right-wing. “This government keeps saying that it’s completely right-wing. You’re not completely right-wing, you’re not right-wing at all. You’re a government that exists thanks to anti-Zionist parties, who are against conscription into the IDF, whose public is trying to lynch female soldiers and flips over police cars,” Lapid says.

In response to the opposition’s no-confidence motions, Eichler of United Torah Judaism rejected the criticism and instead accused lawmakers on the other side of stoking hostility toward his community. He warned that such rhetoric carries serious consequences.

“The incitement during no-confidence motions on the Knesset stage regarding ‘chareidi draft evasion’ is dangerous and intended to legitimize state violence,” he says.

Eichler further contended that statements urging authorities to confront chareidim as they would terrorists amount to a “license for bloodshed. Recently, two chareidi youths have already been killed by bus strikes during demonstrations.”

He cautioned that failing to push back against such language could escalate tensions even further. “If we do not fight against this incitement, it will continue to get worse, heaven forbid. This is how civil wars begin, and one can never know when or how they will end,” Eichler says.

{Matzav.com}

Can A Political Party Be Named ‘The Reservists’? Supreme Court To Decide

Matzav -

Israel’s Supreme Court will convene a panel of justices to consider whether Yoaz Hendel’s political faction may officially register under the name “The Reservists,” after Justice David Mintz agreed to review a petition filed by a group of combat reservists, Arutz Sheva reports.

The case was brought by the Israeli Reservists – Generation of Victory movement, whose members argue that adopting the name “The Reservists” for a political party improperly exploits the Israel Defense Forces and reserve service for electoral gain. They contend that linking the identity of reservists to a specific political list amounts to a misuse of the military’s standing in Israeli society.

In a statement, the movement declared: “Reserve duty is the holy of holies of Israeli society, especially after the events of October 7th. The reservists are not a political brand and not the property of any politician. This name belongs to us all, from the right and from the left, and we can not allow any party paint our uniform with politics.”

The group also welcomed the high court’s involvement, stating: “We commend the Supreme Court’s decision to discuss this fundamental issue that will determine if the IDF remains outside of the political playing field.”

The legal dispute traces back several months, when the movement formally petitioned the Registrar of Political Parties to reject the proposed party name. In its submission, the group argued that “the name of the party constitutes part of the election propaganda in itself, and aims to send a message. The name that was approved for the party misuses the IDF.”

The movement further maintained that “this use harms the IDF’s neutrality and misleads the public. It seems as if reservists have united under his party. The approval of the party under this name violates the public policy, as it is prohibited propaganda.”

The forthcoming hearing will address whether the use of the name “The Reservists” crosses legal boundaries by implying institutional endorsement from members of the reserve forces and whether it undermines the principle that the military must remain outside partisan politics.

{Matzav.com}

Boro Park Chaveirim Welcomes Eight New Volunteers

Yeshiva World News -

PHOTO: Boro Park Chaveirim welcomed eight new volunteers into its ranks last night, further strengthening its ability to serve the community. The new members include B270 Motty Markowitz, B271 Chaim Kahan, B272 Yanky Weiss, B273 Moishy Spitzer, B274 Isaac Krausz, B275 Shia Kaufman, B276 Moshe Ringel, and B277 Shia Kornitzer. The expansion enhances Chaveirim’s capacity […]

New Settlement To ‘Expand Yerushalayim’ For First Time Since 1967 


Matzav -

A newly signed agreement between the government and the Mateh Binyamin Regional Council in the West Bank could pave the way for what critics and supporters alike describe as the first effective expansion of Yerushalayim beyond its post-1967 boundaries, pending final approvals, Times of Israel reports.

The project, unveiled earlier this month, is formally defined as a westward extension of the Adam settlement, located near Yerushalayim’s northeastern edge. The blueprint calls for approximately 2,780 housing units to be constructed as a new “neighborhood” of Adam.

Despite that designation, the proposed site is geographically detached from Adam itself. Route 437, a major roadway, separates the two areas, as does the security barrier, creating a physical divide between the existing community and the planned development.

By contrast, the new neighborhood would share closer territorial continuity with Neve Yaakov, an East Yerushalayim neighborhood situated within the city’s municipal borders, than with Adam.

Although the project would not officially fall under Yerushalayim’s municipal jurisdiction and would remain administratively tied to Adam, officials from the Peace Now organization contend that the development would likely receive at least some municipal services from Yerushalayim.

The construction is slated for 500 dunams of land positioned between the Palestinian towns of Hizma and Al-Ram. The government is expected to allocate roughly NIS 120 million ($39 million) for infrastructure, public facilities, and communal institutions necessary for the neighborhood’s establishment.

The proposal has not yet been submitted to the Civil Administration’s Higher Planning Committee, meaning that final authorization could still take up to two years. Nonetheless, the Housing Ministry confirmed that 500 housing units have already been marketed as part of the initial construction phase.

“The agreement constitutes a significant step in continuing the development of the settlement and strengthening the settlement continuity in the area, while providing a response to the demand for housing in and around Yerushalayim, and integrating a phased and balanced planning of new neighborhoods alongside the existing fabric,” the Housing and Construction Ministry said in a statement on February 3 announcing the development.

Peace Now, which opposes settlement expansion, argued that the plan amounts to de facto annexation and represents an unprecedented enlargement of Yerushalayim’s footprint.

After Israel captured East Jerusalem and the West Bank during the 1967 Six Day War, the Knesset and relevant ministries formally redrew the capital’s boundaries to include formerly Jordanian-held East Jerusalem. Since then, neighborhoods built by Israel in East Jerusalem — widely viewed internationally as settlements — have been developed within those expanded municipal lines.

“This is the first time since 1967 that Yerushalayim has been expanded into the West Bank,” asserted Peace Now.

“Under the pretext of a new settlement, the government is carrying out a backdoor annexation here. The new settlement will function for all intents and purposes as a neighborhood of the city of Yerushalayim, and its planning as a ‘neighborhood’ of the Adam settlement is just an excuse and an attempt to conceal the move, the implication of which is the application of Israeli sovereignty to territories in the West Bank,” it said.

MK Gilad Kariv of the Democrats party also criticized the initiative, calling it “another unprecedented act of annexation that draws us closer to an explosion in the West Bank.”

Kariv said he had contacted Housing and Construction Minister Chaim Katz regarding “the plan to expand Yerushalayim over the Green Line and to de facto annex territory,” warning, “Annexation will bring about a security catastrophe.”

In contrast, Mateh Binyamin Regional Council chairman Yisroel Ganz welcomed the agreement, characterizing it as “the realization of the settlement vision” for the area.

“The new plan will allow us to build thousands of housing units, while at the same time dramatically upgrading the quality of life of the residents,” said Ganz, adding that his council is “already working on additional agreements” that will “herald dramatic change on the ground.”

Pages

Subscribe to NativUSA Portal aggregator