Analyst: Netanyahu ‘Blunder’ Threatens US-Backed Israel-UAE Alliance At Critical Moment With Iran
The American-backed regional alliance aimed at countering Iran is showing signs of internal tension following a dispute between Israel and the United Arab Emirates over a reported meeting involving Prime Minister Bibi Netanyahu, according to a Middle East analyst, as concerns mounted Sunday over the possibility of renewed conflict with Tehran.
The controversy began on May 13, when Netanyahu’s office announced that the Israeli leader had held what it described as a “historic breakthrough” meeting with UAE President Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan during a “secret visit” to the city of Al Ain near the Omani border.
Shortly afterward, the UAE Foreign Ministry publicly rejected the Israeli announcement.
The ministry stated, “Its relations with Israel are public and were established within the framework of the well-known and publicly declared Abraham Accords. These relations are not based on secrecy or clandestine arrangements.”
The UAE added, “Therefore, any claims regarding undisclosed visits or arrangements are baseless unless issued by the relevant official authorities in the UAE.”
Middle East Institute analyst Natan Sachs told Fox News Digital that the fallout could carry significant consequences.
“The stakes are high,” Sachs said.
“I imagine the Israelis are working overtime to mend relations with the UAE, but it is too early to tell,” he added.
President Donald Trump spoke Sunday with Netanyahu as tensions involving Iran continued to intensify, with the Israeli premier declaring that Israel was “prepared for every scenario.”
According to the Times of Israel, the two leaders discussed the possibility of renewed military action against Iran as well as Trump’s recent trip to China.
Sachs, who serves as a senior fellow at the Middle East Institute, said the Israeli announcement appeared to create unnecessary diplomatic complications for the Emiratis.
“This seems like a diplomatic blunder because it embarrasses the UAE,” he said.
“This was an odd move to make since the UAE has been a close partner of Israel, even during this war,” Sachs continued.
“Either Netanyahu didn’t think, or he was thinking about something else — domestic politics. It would not be the first time he did that.”
Sachs also suggested that the leak itself may have damaged trust between the two countries.
“To the degree that the Emirati anger is genuine, it would have meant working to preserve trust with their Gulf Arab ally,” he said.
“I would also not rule out Emirati anger at the leak itself, which could be seen as a break of trust — something very important to the Emirati leadership.”
The Abraham Accords, arranged by the United States in 2020, reshaped diplomatic ties across the region by establishing formal relations between Israel and the UAE, Bahrain, Morocco, and Sudan.
Since then, cooperation on security matters has grown considerably due to shared fears regarding Iran’s military capabilities and regional ambitions.
That partnership came under pressure after Iran reportedly targeted UAE military and energy sites during Operation Epic Fury.
According to U.S. Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee, Israel deployed Iron Dome defense systems and personnel to assist the UAE. Emirati officials confirmed Sunday that three drones approaching from the west had been intercepted.
“The UAE received much of the fire from Iran. It is the most vulnerable to Iranian short-range missiles, which are more plentiful and cheaper than the medium-range missiles fired at Israel,” Sachs explained.
“While short-range missiles can be intercepted, Iran has many more of them. The UAE took the most hits, yet it stood out by sticking most clearly to its strategy of open partnership with Israel.”
“But the public disclosure that Netanyahu himself visited may have just been seen as a step too far,” Sachs added.
{Matzav.com}
