Kellogg Calls for U.S. Boots on the Ground in Iran, Says Current Negotiators Should Be Replaced
Retired Lt. Gen. Keith Kellogg is calling on the United States to dramatically escalate its strategy in Iran, arguing that American ground forces should be deployed to seize key strategic locations and that the current U.S. negotiating team should be replaced with tougher, more experienced wartime negotiators.
Appearing Monday on Fox News’s “America Reports,” Kellogg said the conflict has entered a new phase and requires an entirely different American approach, beginning with the officials handling diplomacy.
“Look, there’s about five things we ought to be doing right now, because the war has changed right now in Iran. One on negotiations, I would change out our negotiations team,” Kellogg said on Fox News’s “America Reports.”
Kellogg argued that negotiations conducted during an active war should be led by seasoned professionals rather than individuals whose backgrounds are outside the national security arena.
“You do not — have — or need real estate guys to be talking about negotiation during the middle of a war, and when you do bring a negotiations team back, it ought to be a real hardcore son …. that is just sitting on the ground and can really do it well,” he added.
He also maintained that air power by itself will not be enough to secure victory, despite recent surveys indicating that the prolonged conflict has lost favor with many Americans.
“You’re going to need ground troops to do something. That doesn’t mean they go all the way to Tehran,” Kellogg added. “Then I’m not advocating that at all. But you could take a couple key strategic targets, that gives the president leverage and controls their economy.”
The war is now nearing the five-month mark, bringing with it growing diplomatic fallout for the United States. The fighting has strained ties with longtime allies, rattled global markets, and fueled rising oil and gasoline prices.
Military operations also intensified over the past week. American forces completed a nine-day series of strikes against Iranian targets on Sunday, marking the latest escalation in the conflict.
Meanwhile, Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) claimed Monday that two oil tankers it labeled as “deviant” exploded while transiting the Strait of Hormuz. According to Iran’s state-run Fars News Agency, the IRGC said the vessels had attempted to enter and leave the strategic waterway using what it described as an “unsafe route.”
Separately, the Pentagon on Monday identified two U.S. troops killed in last week’s Iranian attack in Jordan. The service members were named as 1st Lt. Tyler Feehan and Pvt. Isabella Gonzales. Officials said Gonzales was killed in action on Friday, while Feehan was killed the following day.
{Matzav.com}
