Feed aggregator

Millions of Americans Are Now Considered Canadian Thanks to New Law

Matzav -

A newly enacted law in Canada is making it possible for millions of Americans to pursue Canadian citizenship, significantly expanding eligibility through ancestral connections.

The measure, which took effect on December 15, allows individuals born before that date to claim citizenship by descent if they can demonstrate a direct Canadian ancestor. Previously, citizenship through lineage was limited to a single generation, but the updated policy now permits claims through grandparents, great-grandparents, and even more distant relatives.

Since the change was implemented, there has been a noticeable surge in applications from Americans seeking to take advantage of the expanded eligibility. The uptick comes amid ongoing friction between the two countries, fueled in part by statements from Donald Trump about annexing Canada as the 51st state.

An immigration lawyer based in Washington told the Associated Press that demand has sharply increased, saying his firm has been “pretty much flooded with this,” and noting, “We’ve kind of shifted a lot of other work away in order to push these cases through.”

Similarly, Vancouver attorney Amndeep Hayer reported a dramatic rise in interest, with his office moving from handling around 200 citizenship cases annually to fielding more than 20 consultations each day. He estimated that millions of Americans may now qualify for Canadian citizenship under the revised law.

{Matzav.com}

11-Year-Old Girl Injured in Iranian Missile Strike in Bnei Brak Dies After Weeks of Tefillah

Matzav -

An 11-year-old girl who was critically wounded in an Iranian missile strike in Bnei Brak has died after weeks in intensive care, following widespread tefillos on her behalf across the Jewish world.

Nesia Karadi Hy”d succumbed to her injuries after being struck on the eve of Pesach while sleeping in her home. Her condition had remained critical since the attack, and many had been davening for the recovery of Nesia bas Hila.

The tragic news was announced by Sheba Medical Center, where she had been hospitalized since the incident.

Despite ongoing tefillos and many people taking on kabbalos in her merit, Nesia passed away surrounded by her family, who remained at her bedside throughout her hospitalization.

Her body was transferred ahead of Shabbos to the morgue at Mayanei Hayeshua Medical Center. The levayah is scheduled to take place on Motzaei Shabbos, Parshas Kedoshim. She is expected to be buried in Elad, with further details on the exact time to be announced.

Nesia was a student at the Chorev school in Ramat Gan. She was the daughter of Rabbi Elazar Elchanan Karadi and Mrs. Hila Karadi of the Shimoni family from Bat Yam, and a niece of Rabbi Michael Lasri.

Her mother shared that the name “Nesia” was chosen because her birth was considered a miracle. “I remember that the midwife shouted to us in the delivery room that this child was born by a miracle,” she said in an interview with Kol Berama radio.

Recalling the moment of the attack, her mother said, “Nesia was the child who was most careful about following Home Front Command instructions. At every siren, she was the first to run to the protected space. But during the siren in Bnei Brak, Nesia was asleep, and before she could get up and run — the missile fell and severely injured her.”

The city of Bnei Brak is mourning her loss. In an official statement, municipal leaders wrote: “The mayor, his deputies, members of the city council, and all residents of the city are shocked and pained upon receiving the bitter news of the passing of the girl Nesia Karadi Hy”d who returned her pure soul to her Creator after being critically wounded by a cluster missile on the eve of the recent Pesach Yom Tov. Tens of thousands of city residents, together with all of Klal Yisroel, prayed and pleaded for her recovery since the severe injury, and followed with hope her struggle for life at Sheba Medical Center in Tel Hashomer. To our great sorrow, the decree was sealed and the young flower was cut down in the prime of her life.”

{Matzav.com}

Hegseth: “We Will Shoot to Destroy. No Hesitation.”

Matzav -

Pete Hegseth and Dan Caine briefed reporters on Friday, outlining what they described as major progress in Operation Epic Fury and signaling the campaign is shifting into a new stage focused on diplomacy and continued pressure on Iran.

During the press conference, Hegseth said the operation delivered a “decisive military result” in a short period of time, stressing that the overarching goal remains to stop Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons. He indicated that the next phase will test whether Tehran chooses to engage in negotiations.

“Iran has an important choice, a chance to make a deal – a good deal, a wise deal,” Hegseth stated.

He pointed to the growing U.S. naval presence in the Strait of Hormuz, calling the blockade “ironclad,” and noted that an additional aircraft carrier will soon be deployed to the region. Hegseth said the effort is continuing to expand.

“Our blockade is growing and going global,” he said, adding that 34 vessels not affiliated with Iran have been allowed to transit the strait, although overall maritime traffic remains well below normal levels.

Addressing recent Iranian activity, Hegseth accused Tehran of targeting commercial shipping, describing the incidents as involving “random ships” approached by Iranian speedboats. Referring to orders issued by Donald Trump authorizing force against attempts to lay naval mines, he emphasized that U.S. forces are operating under clear engagement rules.

“If Iran is putting mines in the water or threatening American shipping or forces, we will shoot to destroy. No hesitation,” he said.

Caine outlined enforcement actions under the blockade, reporting that numerous ships have reversed course. He said one vessel, the M/V Touska, had been taken into custody, and two tankers tied to Iran were intercepted in the Indo-Pacific. Their crews remain detained by U.S. authorities.

“We will continue maritime interdictions in the Pacific and Indian Oceans against Iranian vessels,” Caine said.

While a ceasefire between the U.S. and Iran is still formally in place, friction continues as both sides vie for influence over the Strait of Hormuz, a critical artery for global energy supplies. Iran has reportedly sought to impose fees and seize ships, while U.S. forces have stopped several vessels connected to Tehran.

President Trump said Thursday that the United States has “total control” over the waterway and reiterated that military action could resume if Iran declines to negotiate, though he signaled he is not rushing the process.

“I want to make the best deal,” Trump said.

In a separate development, a ceasefire between Israel and Lebanon was extended after discussions at the White House, reflecting broader regional dynamics involving Iran and its allied groups.

At the same time, leadership changes continued at the Pentagon, as Navy Secretary John Phelan stepped down following direction from President Trump and Hegseth.

{Matzav.com}

Trump Sends Witkoff and Kushner to Pakistan for Direct Iran Meeting

Matzav -

Donald Trump is sending his special envoy Steve Witkoff and his son-in-law Jared Kushner to Pakistan for direct discussions with Iranian representatives, as the administration continues its diplomatic push while maintaining pressure on Tehran.

White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt confirmed the trip during a Friday appearance on Fox News.

“I can confirm that Special Envoy Witkoff and Jared Kushner will be off to Pakistan again tomorrow morning to engage in direct talks with representatives from the Iranian delegation,” she said.

Leavitt noted that Pakistan will serve as the intermediary for the talks. “The Iranians reached out, as the President called on them to do, and asked for this in-person conversation, so the President is dispatching Steve and Jared to go hear what they have to say, and we’re hopeful that it will be a productive conversation,” she said.

Earlier Friday, CNN reported that Trump intends to send Witkoff and Kushner to Pakistan for meetings with Iran’s foreign minister, Abbas Araghchi, in the coming days.

JD Vance, who led the U.S. delegation in prior negotiations, is not expected to attend this round, according to officials. They noted that Iran’s parliamentary speaker, Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, is also not taking part. Within the White House, Ghalibaf is viewed as leading Iran’s delegation and serving as Vance’s counterpart.

Officials said, however, that Vance could still travel to Islamabad if the discussions show signs of progress.

Earlier in the week, Trump announced that the ceasefire involving Iran would be extended indefinitely, citing internal divisions within the country and allowing time for its leadership to present a proposal for a broader agreement.

In a Truth Social post, Trump emphasized that the U.S. naval blockade will remain in effect until Iran submits a formal proposal.

Speaking to reporters on Thursday, Trump said he is willing to wait, noting he is in “no rush” for Iran to act.

He described internal turmoil among Iran’s leadership, saying they are “fighting like cats and dogs for who’s going to control” the country.

“We’ve taken out their military. We’ve hit about 75 percent of our targets. We stopped a little early because they wanted to have some peace, and we have a blockade that’s 100 percent effective. And they’re getting no business,” he said.

Trump further stated, “They want to make a deal. We have been speaking to them, but they don’t even know who’s leading the country. They’re in turmoil.”

“They came to us, and they said, ‘We will agree to open the Strait,’ and all my people were happy. Everybody was happy-except me. I said, ‘Wait a minute. If we open this strait, that means they’re going to make 500 million dollars a day. I don’t want them to make 500 million dollars a day until they settle this thing, so I’m the one that kept it closed. We have total control of it. And it’ll open when they make a deal or something else happens,” continued Trump.

The president added that while an agreement with Iran could be reached “right now,” his focus is on securing a lasting resolution rather than a short-term arrangement.

{Matzav.com}

Former Hamas Hostage Rebukes UCLA Student Leaders Over Criticism of Campus Talk

Matzav -

Omer Shem Tov, who spent more than 500 days in Hamas captivity, is pushing back forcefully against student leaders at University of California, Los Angeles after they criticized his recent appearance on campus for Holocaust Remembrance Day.

Shem Tov, who was kidnapped during the October 7 attacks and freed in February 2025, told The California Post that he addressed the backlash following a statement issued by UCLA’s Undergraduate Students Association Council. The council argued that his remarks reflected a “single narrative” and did not include a Palestinian viewpoint, contending that such programming promotes what it described as selective storytelling that overlooks broader realities.

Responding to the criticism, Shem Tov warned against what he sees as an effort to suppress direct testimony. He said that rejecting the voice of someone who lived through such an ordeal in order to preserve a certain perspective points to a deeper problem, stressing that fundamental values should not be sacrificed for ideological agendas.

Student body president Diego Bollo later clarified that the council’s statement passed by a slim margin and acknowledged procedural shortcomings. He said an internal review would examine how official statements are prepared and released, while reiterating his support for free expression and the inclusion of a range of viewpoints on campus.

Even amid the controversy, Shem Tov’s team described the campus event as positive and respectful, emphasizing that students with differing opinions engaged in meaningful conversation. UCLA’s administration also expressed backing for the event, citing its emphasis on resilience, human rights, and dignity, and said it would evaluate how the student council’s statement was handled, calling the criticism out of step with the university’s values.

The episode unfolds against the backdrop of ongoing unrest at UCLA, where protests tied to the war in Gaza have continued and where the Trump administration has increased scrutiny over concerns about antisemitism and the broader campus climate.

Jewish students are estimated to account for about 9% of UCLA’s undergraduate body, totaling roughly 3,100 to 4,000 individuals.

{Matzav.com}

Repeat Controversy: “Rishon LeTzion Impersonator” Reappears With New Look, Declares Imminent Geulah

Matzav -

Just as the uproar surrounding his appearance at the state torch-lighting ceremony had begun to settle, “Rabbi” Eyal Tzionov stirred fresh controversy with a new video in which he unveiled a different appearance and delivered dramatic proclamations about the coming of Moshiach.

In footage released Thursday night, Tzionov is seen abandoning the familiar robe associated with the Rishon LeTzion and instead dressed in white garments with a matching head covering. Seated on an ornate, gold-accented chair, he appears emotional and animated as he addresses viewers with urgency. “Morai verabosai, we are at the time of the coming of Moshiach in his revelation!” he declares. He continues emphatically: “The time has come, on the 5th of Iyar, Yom Ha’atzmaut, that Moshiach is revealed. It has arrived.”

Tzionov goes on to explain the reason behind his new attire, presenting it as part of the unfolding redemption. “And when Moshiach comes, one wears such a garment. Now the time has come! We are wearing this garment, and may it be the will that all of Klal Yisroel merit to wear such a garment. Not only I wear it—everyone. It is not only my garment,” he says.

Tzionov has become one of the most widely discussed figures online in recent days following the stir he caused at the official torch-lighting ceremony on Har Herzl. During the nationally broadcast event, cameras focused on him while he was dressed in a robe and headpiece strongly identified with the Rishon LeTzion.

His presence led to significant confusion among attendees. Some participants approached him seeking a bracha, believing he was the sitting Rishon LeTzion, Rav Dovid Yosef. At the same time, officials within the Rabbanus sharply criticized the incident, with one source stating that “this is a clown who walks around like this, and more than once creates problems.”

Responding to the backlash, Tzionov said the outfit began as a gift. “My talmidim bought me this robe as a present,” he explained in an interview on Kol Barama radio. “I started wearing it on Purim and saw that the public very much connected to it and liked the appearance. Since then, people have been inviting me to Torah events and shiurim specifically when I am dressed this way.”

Addressing claims that the clothing could be misleading, he insisted there was no issue. “There is no legal problem with this. I am not impersonating the Chief Rabbi or the Rishon LeTzion, and I do not intend to change my clothing because of these and other reasons.”

The incident also raised questions about security at the ceremony, but the Shin Bet moved quickly to clarify that no breach had occurred. In an official statement, the agency said Tzionov was identified upon arrival as not being the Chief Rabbi and underwent standard security screening like all attendees.

Officials added that “at no stage did he enter the secured area where the Prime Minister was located, and there was no danger to any of the protected individuals at the ceremony.”

The torch-lighting controversy is not the first time Tzionov has drawn attention. In recent weeks, he reportedly ascended Har Habayis wearing the same distinctive attire. The incident prompted a Shin Bet official to contact the office of Rav Dovid Yosef—who is known for his opposition to such visits—to clarify the situation. The office confirmed that the Rav had not been present, and it was later understood that it was Tzionov.

{Matzav.com}

Porush on Meron Lag BaOmer Preparations: What Happens if Attendance Is Limited?

Matzav -

With just over a week to go until the hilula of Rashbi in Meron on Lag BaOmer, former Yerushalayim and Heritage Minister Meir Porush detailed the current status of preparations and addressed the possibility of a limited-attendance framework due to security concerns.

Speaking Thursday night during a Kol Chai panel at a conference held at the Tzipori Hotel in Kfar, Porush said that work at Har Meron is proceeding at full speed, in accordance with clear directives from the police, despite ongoing uncertainty surrounding the security situation.

Addressing the budget and infrastructure developments, Porush said that while the Finance Ministry is generally not generous, the situation regarding Meron has been relatively favorable. “The Finance Ministry, when it comes to budgets, is usually not generous, but when it comes to Meron, it is fairly reasonable,” he said. He noted that although not all the promises made on the night the budget was approved were fulfilled, a substantial budget was ultimately allocated for infrastructure, and discussions were held with the coalition chairman regarding additional funding. He added that bus stops that had previously been narrow sidewalks have now been doubled in width, and the parking area designated for public officials has been paved and organized. At the same time, he remarked with a touch of irony that “there still won’t be escalators or a cable car.”

Regarding the possibility that a security escalation could impact the event, Porush pointed to the uncertainty in the political and security environment. He observed that even within Israel’s leadership there is confusion over the conduct of President Donald Trump, saying that he “doesn’t even tell them anything.” Despite that uncertainty, Porush revealed that about three weeks ago the police issued explicit instructions to continue preparations without interruption. “The police told us, you do not have permission to stop all the preparations. You will continue at full pace and do everything,” he said, explaining that from a practical standpoint, the site must be fully ready, since it cannot be left unprepared.

When asked whether his office would assume responsibility for managing the event under a limited format—similar to the framework implemented at the Kosel during Chol Hamoed—Porush rejected the idea. He defended the work of the Rav of the Kosel and the holy sites, Rav Shmuel Rabinowitz, noting that there are those who create obstacles and interfere with his work. He then clarified his own position regarding Meron under restrictions: “We are brought in when there is a complete plan. A limited framework does not need us. For what purpose?”

{Matzav.com}

Pages

Subscribe to NativUSA Portal aggregator