Iran Rejects a Halt on Uranium Enrichment; US Sets New Sanctions
The United States moved to escalate pressure on Iran on Friday after Tehran rejected American demands to suspend uranium enrichment during nuclear discussions in Oman, with the Trump administration announcing a new round of sanctions targeting the Islamist regime.
The State Department said it imposed sanctions on 15 Iranian entities, two individuals, and 14 shadow fleet vessels connected to the illegal trade of Iranian petroleum and petrochemical products.
“These targets have generated revenue that the regime uses to conduct its malign activities,” the State Department said in a news release. “Instead of investing in the welfare of its own people and crumbling infrastructure, the Iranian regime continues to fund destabilizing activities around the world and step up its repression inside Iran.
“So long as [the] Iranian regime attempts to evade sanctions and generate oil and petrochemical revenues to fund such oppressive behavior and support terrorist activities and proxies, the United States will act to hold both the Iranian regime and its partners accountable.”
The negotiations had initially been scheduled to take place Friday in Istanbul, with several Middle Eastern nations expected to attend as observers. Iran announced earlier in the week that it wanted the venue changed to Oman and insisted the talks be limited to a direct, bilateral format.
Rather than meeting directly, the delegations conducted indirect discussions through Omani mediators, according to a report by The Wall Street Journal. People familiar with the talks told the newspaper that neither side made meaningful concessions from their original positions.
The American delegation included special envoy Steve Witkoff, White House adviser Jared Kushner, President Donald Trump’s son-in-law, and Adm. Brad Cooper, commander of U.S. Central Command. Iran’s delegation was led by Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, alongside his deputies Majid Takht-Ravanchi, Kazem Gharibabadi, and Hamid Qanbari, according to Press TV.
Officials in the region and many analysts entered the talks with limited expectations, pointing to Iran’s refusal to halt uranium enrichment and Washington’s insistence on addressing Tehran’s ballistic missile program, its backing of terrorist proxies, and its human rights record following a violent crackdown on anti-regime demonstrators.
“Our talks are focused solely on the nuclear issue, and we are not engaging with the Americans on any other subject,” Araghchi told Press TV.
Araghchi said the talks marked “a good start” toward continued negotiations. According to a report by CNN, the two sides agreed to hold additional discussions, though no date or location has yet been determined.
He also called on Trump to reduce military pressure, saying negotiations should “take place in a calm environment, free from tension and threats.”
President Donald Trump has repeatedly warned Iran over its nuclear ambitions and the regime’s use of force against protesters. In recent weeks, the United States has reinforced its military footprint in the region with the deployment of the USS Abraham Lincoln carrier strike group. During the talks, Washington highlighted its posture by conducting fighter jet flights over the carrier strike group in the Arabian Sea, according to a report by the New York Post.
{Matzav.com}
