Prime Minister Netanyahu held a situational assessment at IDF headquarters in Tel Aviv with Defense Minister Katz, IDF Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Eyal Zamir, and military secretary Maj. Gen. Roman Gofman. Although “security chiefs” were mentioned, footage omitted Shin Bet head Ronen Bar, whom Netanyahu plans to dismiss this week.
YWN has obtained the name for Tehillim for an 11-year-old girl who was struck by a vehicle while riding her bike on Ronald Drive in Monsey. She was rushed to Westchester Medical Center in serious condition. The tzibur is urged to say Tehillim for Roisa Fradel bas Esther Chaya Yittel for a Refuah Sheleimah.
A ceasefire in Russia’s 3-year-old war in Ukraine hinges on Moscow accepting the U.S. proposal of a 30-day pause in fighting as a confidence-building measure for both sides to hammer out a longer-term peace plan. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy has warned that Russian President Vladimir Putin will look to delay such a temporary truce with conditions meant to divert the peace process and lengthen the war. Ukraine, which faced pressure to accept the ceasefire after U.S. President Donald Trump blocked military aid and intelligence sharing, expects that he will threaten more sanctions on Moscow to push Putin into accepting the terms. As he disclosed that he will talk to Putin on Tuesday, Trump said that land and power plants are part of the conversation around bringing the war to a close, a process he described as “dividing up certain assets.” But beyond the temporary ceasefire, both sides seem unwilling to make large concessions to the other, and both have red lines that they insist cannot be crossed. A look at the issues: What are Russia’s demands? When Putin launched its full-scale invasion on Feb. 24, 2022, he demanded that Ukraine renounce joining NATO, sharply cut its army, and protect Russian language and culture to keep the country in Moscow’s orbit. Now, he also demands that Kyiv withdraw its forces from the four regions Moscow illegally annexed in September 2022 but never fully occupied — Donetsk, Luhansk, Zaporizhzhia and Kherson. Russian officials also have said that any peace deal should involve releasing Russian assets that were frozen in the West and lifting other U.S. and European Union sanctions. The Trump administration has proposed putting potential sanctions relief on the table. Along with that, Putin has repeatedly emphasized the need to “remove the root causes of the crisis” — a reference to the Kremlin’s demand to roll back a NATO military buildup near Russian borders that it describes as a major threat to its security. He also argues that Zelenskyy, whose term expired last year, lacks legitimacy to sign a peace deal. Kyiv maintains that elections are impossible to hold amid a war. Trump has echoed Putin’s view, speaking of the need for Ukraine to hold an election. Russian officials also have declared that Moscow won’t accept troops from any NATO members as peacekeepers to monitor a prospective truce. What are Ukraine’s demands? Facing setbacks along the 1,000-kilometer (620-mile) front, Ukraine has backed away from demanding that its state borders be returned to pre-2014 lines, because it does not have the military force capable of reaching that end. Ukraine is asking for a peace deal cemented with security guarantees from international allies that will ensure that Russia is never able to invade again. In lieu of NATO membership — a long-sought desire by Kyiv that appears to be nearly impossible without U.S. backing — what those guarantees might look like is taking shape in parallel talks led by France and Britain. A “coalition of the willing” envisions European boots on the ground and a strong military response if Russia were to launch a new offensive. Zelenskyy has insisted the Ukrainian army be strengthened to withstand future Russian offensives, a costly endeavor that will require quick and consistent support from international allies. A stockpile of weapons, capable of doing serious damage to Russian assets, is another demand. Kyiv also wants to bolster its domestic arms industry to lessen […]
Al Jazeera reports that at least 20 people were killed in renewed Israeli airstrikes targeting Gaza. According to additional Arabic media sources, the casualties include children. Israeli media outlets report that dozens of targets have been struck, with numerous fighter jets involved in the ongoing operations.
With Pesach fast approaching, Israel’s Agriculture and Finance Ministries have announced an increase in the egg import quota to ensure there’s no shortage during Pesach preparations. The new quota is now set at 105 million eggs, with 40 million already imported, ensuring that residents will have ample supply for all their Yom Tov needs. As in previous years, quotas are adjusted in the months leading up to Pesach to accommodate the surge in demand, which typically peaks between January and April. However, this year’s decision to expand the quota even further comes as egg production has been hit hard by multiple factors, including the ongoing war with Hamas, extreme weather conditions, and outbreaks of bird flu. Israel’s egg supply is primarily sourced from the Galil and Golan Heights, where chicken coops typically produce around 1.6 billion eggs per year—approximately 73% of the country’s total production of 2.2 billion eggs annually. However, due to Hezbollah’s continued provocations and attacks, egg production in the North has suffered, necessitating a greater reliance on imports. Despite these challenges, the ministries assured that the price of eggs will remain steady and that with the increased quota, there is no reason to anticipate a shortage. So while Yidden across Eretz Yisroel begin the daunting task of cleaning, shopping, and preparing for the Chag, they can hopefully rest assured that their egg supply is secure, ensuring that Pesach can be celebrated properly. (YWN World Headquarters – NYC)
The State Department says South Africa’s ambassador to the United States, who was declared “persona non grata” last week, has until Friday to leave the country. After Secretary of State Marco Rubio determined that Ambassador Ebrahim Rasool was no longer welcome in the U.S. and posted his decision Friday on social media, South African embassy staff were summoned to the State Department and given a formal diplomatic note explaining the decision, department spokesperson Tammy Bruce said. She said Rasool’s diplomatic privileges and immunities expired Monday and that he would be required to leave the United States by Friday. South African Foreign Ministry spokesperson Chrispin Phiri said in a television interview on Monday that Rasool was still in the U.S. but would be leaving as soon as possible. Rubio announced his decision in a post on X as he was flying back to the United States from a Group of 7 foreign ministers meeting in Canada. In it, he accused Rasool of being a “race-baiting politician” who hates President Donald Trump. His post linked to a story by the conservative Breitbart news site about a talk Rasool gave earlier Friday in Johannesburg as part of a South African think tank’s webinar. Rasool, speaking by videoconference, talked about actions taken by the Trump administration in the context of a United States where white people soon would no longer be in the majority. It is highly unusual for the U.S. to expel a foreign ambassador, although lower-ranking diplomats are more frequently targeted with persona non grata status. Rubio’s decision was the latest Trump administration move targeting South Africa. Trump signed an executive order last month halting funding to the country. It criticized the Black-led South African government on multiple fronts, saying it is pursuing anti-white policies at home and supporting “bad actors” in the world like the Palestinian militant group Hamas and Iran. South African President Cyril Ramaphosa told reporters on Monday that Rasool would give him a report when he returned home. Ramaphosa said his government has “noted the displeasure that has been expressed by the United States,” and particularly about Rasool’s remarks, but stressed that he believed South Africa was in the process of rebuilding its relationship with the U.S. “This is a hiccup, a hiccup we are working on straightening out,” he said. “We will engage with the United States of America in a formal way,” Ramaphosa said. “We will do so with deep respect for them and for President Trump as well. Our relationship with the United States is going to be put on an even keel, so I would like the people of South Africa not to have sleepless nights.” Bruce said the United States expects a certain level of respect. “We’ve had a decent level of diplomacy with South Africa. There are some challenges, but you want people in each embassy who can actually facilitate a relationship,” she told reporters on Monday. “And these remarks were unacceptable to the United States, not just to the president, but to every American.” The Foreign Ministry spokesman said South Africa intended to raise questions with the U.S. over Rubio seemingly announcing on social media that Rasool was no longer welcome in the U.S. before informing him of the decision. Phiri said South Africa believed such matters should first be discussed […]
The United States and Israel have reached out to three East African governments—Sudan, Somalia, and Somaliland—to explore potential resettlement opportunities for Palestinians currently living in Gaza. The initiative is part of President Trump’s postwar vision, which seeks to provide new opportunities for Palestinians while enabling Israel to fully eliminate Hamas’s influence and threats. President Trump’s approach to Gaza is ambitious: Rather than allowing the region to remain an ungovernable terrorist stronghold, the plan seeks to relocate Palestinians to more stable environments, while redeveloping Gaza into a modern, flourishing region under U.S. oversight. His proposal envisions turning Gaza into a high-value real estate zone, free from the terror and chaos that have plagued it for decades. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has hailed the idea as a “bold vision,” recognizing that voluntary migration could allow for a fresh start for Palestinians while preventing future conflicts with Israel. His government, along with U.S. officials, has begun diplomatic outreach to identify possible partner countries that would be willing to accept Palestinians in exchange for economic and diplomatic benefits. American and Israeli officials confirm that discussions with Sudan, Somalia, and Somaliland began shortly after Trump introduced the proposal at a White House meeting with Netanyahu last month. While none of the nations have formally agreed, the outreach demonstrates the seriousness with which the U.S. and Israel are pursuing solutions for Gaza’s long-term future. Officials from Sudan and Somalia initially rejected the idea, with Somalia’s Foreign Minister Ahmed Moalim Fiqi claiming that any resettlement plan would infringe on Palestinian rights. However, discussions remain open, and incentives such as economic aid and diplomatic recognition could shift their positions. Somaliland, a breakaway region seeking international recognition, has not confirmed any talks but remains a potential partner due to its strategic interests. Despite criticism from left-wing and anti-Israel groups, Israeli leaders have reaffirmed their commitment to ensuring that any migration is voluntary. Defense Minister Yisrael Katz has emphasized that Israel is actively working to create pathways for willing Gazans to relocate, partnering with countries that could offer them greater economic opportunity and security. Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich has gone further, announcing plans for a dedicated emigration department within the Defense Ministry to facilitate voluntary relocation efforts. Smotrich has long advocated for giving Palestinians a viable alternative to remaining in a war-torn region under Hamas control, and this initiative could provide them with new prospects for stability and prosperity. Unsurprisingly, the Palestinian leadership, which has long sought to weaponize the issue for political leverage, has rejected the plan outright. Arab nations have also expressed opposition, preferring a reconstruction effort that would leave Palestinians in place—despite decades of failed governance and ongoing threats to Israel. Human rights organizations critical of Israel have attempted to frame the resettlement discussions as a violation of international law, but these claims ignore the voluntary nature of the migration proposal and the humanitarian incentives it offers. For Sudan, Somalia, and Somaliland, the proposal presents a unique opportunity to receive financial, diplomatic, and security support from the U.S. and Israel. Sudan, which normalized relations with Israel under the 2020 Abraham Accords, has been struggling with internal conflict, and economic aid could be a decisive factor in its willingness to participate. Somaliland, which has maintained a stable government for over 30 years but remains unrecognized internationally, could […]
The 17-year-old bochur involved in the tragic accident on Route 17 in Chester, which claimed the life of his father, R’ Mordachai Zafir Z”L, has been discharged from the hospital. The crash occurred shortly before 2 a.m. on March 5th near Exit 126, when a Nissan Altima, driven by Sydnie M. Haines, 25, was traveling the wrong way in the westbound lanes and collided head-on with a 2014 Honda Odyssey driven by Zafir. Both drivers were pronounced dead at the scene. The 17-year-old passenger sustained serious injuries and was initially transported to Garnet Medical Center in Middletown before being transferred to Westchester Medical Center, where he remained in serious but stable condition. After receiving medical care, the bochur has been discharged from the hospital. However, he faces a recovery process. All are urged to continue to daven for Klonimus Kalman Yehoshua ben Esther Malka Bracha for a refuah sheleimah. (YWN World Headquarters – NYC)
It was a historic and bittersweet moment for Yeshiva Chaim Berlin, as the two new Roshei Yeshiva, HaRav Yosef Halioua and HaRav Tzvi Fink, the son and son-in-law of the late Rosh Yeshiva, HaRav Shlomo Halioua ZT’L, led the Purim Mesiba on Friday afternoon, their first year as Roshei Yeshiva. VIDEO & PHOTOS BELOW VIA SHIMON GIFTER FOR YWN
A federal judge on Monday declined to force the Trump administration to immediately reimburse dozens of public broadcasting stations for upgrades to the nation’s emergency alert system. The nonprofit Corporation for Public Broadcasting sued the Federal Emergency Management Agency last Thursday, claiming the agency had unlawfully held up nearly $2 million in grant money for modernizing the alert system. The lawsuit says the delay in reimbursements is hampering the ability of federal, state and local authorities to issue real-time emergency alerts. U.S. District Judge Timothy Kelly denied a request for a court order and ruled that the CPB failed to carry its legal burden for showing how it has been irreparably harmed. The corporation hasn’t demonstrated that the alert system will stop working if the grant funding doesn’t start flowing right away, Kelly concluded as he rejected the CPB’s request for a temporary restraining order. “This circuit has set a high standard for irreparable injury,” Kelly said. “I don’t think CPB has satisfied that high standard on the record here.” The lawsuit is one of several cases in which Trump’s administration has been accused of illegally withholding funds for a host of programs and services. The national Emergency Alert System helps government officials issue alerts about disasters, including flash floods, blizzards, tornados and hurricanes. The CPB, which is the federal government’s steward of funding for hundreds of public radio and television stations, says FEMA is pretending that it isn’t holding onto the grant money. The CPB says the Feb. 18 hold prevents it from submitting requests for reimbursement under the $40 million grant program for the Next Generation Warning System. The grants help pay for public media stations to upgrade their emergency alerting equipment. The program has over 40 grant recipients. Government lawyers deny that FEMA is withholding any program funding. “Rather, the Agency has modified its process for the review of payment requests — a process that is consistent with its authority to protect the public fisc and ensure grant programs are free from waste, fraud, and abuse,” they wrote in a court filing. The CPB’s attorneys say FEMA has presented no evidence of waste, fraud or abuse in the program. “For close to three years, FEMA has been intimately involved every step of the way in terms of the specific sites receiving new emergency broadcast equipment, creating a FEMA pre-approved equipment list, receiving monthly and quarterly reports on the expenses incurred and the progress of the grant,” they wrote. Congress created the CPB in 1967. The private corporation says it distributes over 70% of its funding to more than 1,500 public radio and television stations. President Donald Trump nominated Kelly to the bench during his first term. (AP)